Blog Post 1
Technology has become such a large part of today's society. One of the places it is most used in and also has become more present in is the classroom. What influences teachers to use technology is that it has become such a norm for students. Students use technology so much out of the classroom so teachers feel that using technology in class will be more engaging for the students. The reason students use technology in class is the accessibility. Students use technology everyday for different reasons, so using it in class is just one of the ways it can be used.
One of the ISTE standards for students that is meaningful to me is creativity and innovation. In the ISTE standard for students, it says "Students demonstrate creative thinking, construct knowledge, and develop innovative products and processes using technology". I agree with this because students have knowledge outside of technology that can be used to create something innovative. Using technology in school has only strengthened the way students learn. It allows students to think creatively and apply what they know to the technology that is available to them. One ISTE standard that seems outside of my skill set is the research and information fluency. While I have used technology for majority of my research, I feel like I need more practice with citing and reporting results. Before technology, students would have to use books and libraries to find their information. Now that we have technology, it is important that students and teachers know how to properly use them.
I agree with the term "digital native". A digital native is someone who grew up in the age of technology. I definitely have seen differences between me and my teachers in regards to technology. In elementary school, my classrooms either had projectors or Smart Boards. A lot of the time if the teachers were having issues getting the technology to work, one of the students was able to guide them through it. I felt like this was a constant in elementary and middle school, and I'm sure it's the same for other people. I first started using technology a lot around 6th grade. While my generation did grow up with technology, we really were first introduced to it after a few years. I believe that children now are definitely digital natives. The technological advances that have taken place in the last ten years is honestly incredible. I have seen kids as young as three years old know how to operate an iPad better than I can. Kids are handed technology to keep them occupied and happy, so being so exposed to it has made them digital natives. When I am a teacher, I expect that teachers and students technological abilities and knowledge will be about the same. Since technology was a big part of my youth and technology will be large part of future students lives, I feel like teachers will know how to work technology and use it better than the teachers are now.
One of the ISTE standards for students that is meaningful to me is creativity and innovation. In the ISTE standard for students, it says "Students demonstrate creative thinking, construct knowledge, and develop innovative products and processes using technology". I agree with this because students have knowledge outside of technology that can be used to create something innovative. Using technology in school has only strengthened the way students learn. It allows students to think creatively and apply what they know to the technology that is available to them. One ISTE standard that seems outside of my skill set is the research and information fluency. While I have used technology for majority of my research, I feel like I need more practice with citing and reporting results. Before technology, students would have to use books and libraries to find their information. Now that we have technology, it is important that students and teachers know how to properly use them.
I agree with the term "digital native". A digital native is someone who grew up in the age of technology. I definitely have seen differences between me and my teachers in regards to technology. In elementary school, my classrooms either had projectors or Smart Boards. A lot of the time if the teachers were having issues getting the technology to work, one of the students was able to guide them through it. I felt like this was a constant in elementary and middle school, and I'm sure it's the same for other people. I first started using technology a lot around 6th grade. While my generation did grow up with technology, we really were first introduced to it after a few years. I believe that children now are definitely digital natives. The technological advances that have taken place in the last ten years is honestly incredible. I have seen kids as young as three years old know how to operate an iPad better than I can. Kids are handed technology to keep them occupied and happy, so being so exposed to it has made them digital natives. When I am a teacher, I expect that teachers and students technological abilities and knowledge will be about the same. Since technology was a big part of my youth and technology will be large part of future students lives, I feel like teachers will know how to work technology and use it better than the teachers are now.
Comments
Post a Comment